Monday, September 27, 2010

Witchcraft & Occultism: In Style?

It's funny how topics I randomly ponder to myself and pray over come up in my life or show up on blogger. I am reading the Bible in its entirety (should have been in one year, but it may take a little longer! lol) and I am making my way through the Old Testament now. In many parts in the OT (and even NT) scripture, we are warned not to engage in witchcraft, soothsaying, divination, etc.

Even though this is such a widely repeated warning throughout the Bible, hardly anyone pays attention to it anymore. I know of so many people looking to engage in these things, from simple horoscopes, to seeing a psychic for fun, to using a Ouija board, and having full on seances. I don't know how it formed into a trend...I think people like to be scared and we see these things occurring in our much beloved horror flicks and want to experience it ourselves. We like to be shown outright that there is another realm besides the world we live in now. We're curious, but God has no patience for it.

I prayed about this for the past couple nights, to see where I should stand. I had friends in the past whose parents banned Halloween and Disney movies/Harry Potter...and that was just so unappealing to me. My friends were trapped by this ultra-protective environment and they were the ones who ended up rebelling the worst.

My cousin came to me and asked me if I believed in psychics and mediums. She just lost her father in a tragic accident so her and her siblings have been constantly looking for "signs" from beyond the grave and have sought out mediums to connect with their dad. She wants to throw a "psychic party" by hiring a psychic and inviting all her loved ones to hopefully connect with the deceased and or get a good sneak peak at the future.

I love my cousins and I have been trying to hard to be gentle with them during this difficult time. At one point, I tried to ask if they ever thought this could be a harmful practice...they could be conjuring up false spirits and opening themselves to a world they were not anticipating. They don't follow any one form of Christianity thoroughly so they were unconcerned and adamant that this was true stuff. I don't know what to do...should I attend the party and just show my support for them during this grieving period? I wouldn't participate, but I also don't want to support the event itself...

I feel the Lord is convicting me to be more "separate" and firm in my faith. This is not tolerable to God...no matter how harmless or noble our intentions are. But then where do I draw the line? How much Halloween is too much? Is this too another form of witchcraft? Does God detest the decorations with the witches, cauldrons, and ghosts? Am I misrepresenting Christ by enjoying this holiday? What about Harry Potter? I simply cannot bring myself to badmouth this awesome literary series...not only did it inspire a generation of kids to read (myself included), but it has awesome underlying morals.

What are your opinions on this matter?
Where do you stand in this "trend" that has quickly become a strong force in our culture?

Happy Fall & Blessings to all~
RA

6 comments:

Deltaflute said...

I've crossed that occult bridge myself. I ended up not looking at horoscopes, but really looking at them and laughing at how non-interpretative they are and actually believing that it will come true are two separate things.

The seance thing I think is a bit extreme and for me personally, I would be afraid that my cousins would try to persuade me to get involved (holding hands and whatnot). I would politely say "no, thanks." But you know yourself better than I know you.

Halloween is actually a Catholic holiday. It means the Eve of All Hallows or All Saints/All Souls Day. It's supposed to be about honoring the dead. How that turned into scaring away spirits I think has something to do with Catholics putting the holiday next to a Pagan holiday. If you celebrate the holiday in honor of the dead, then I think it's fine. I choose to dress up.

This year HB and I are going to collect change for UNICEF in honor of children world wide. He doesn't eat candy and I don't need it.

The lady who wrote Harry Potter is a Christian. She doesn't believe sorcery is real. In fact the world of Harry Potter is irrelevant. She is teaching children that love, friendship, mentorship, etc are more important. I mean come on Voldemort has no friends and loves no one. His sole goal is to conquer death because that is what he's afraid of. Yet, in his quest he kills others. Harry isn't afraid of death. That's the main message. Waving wands and speaking in Latin matters little.

caraboska said...

Soli Deo Gloria

For me at any rate: even one horoscope is too much, and any Halloween is too much. The problem with Halloween is that it is a good deal more than just a Catholic holiday. There is a branch of witchcraft devoted to explicitly perverting Christianity by doing such things as reciting the Lord's Prayer backwards and stealing Communion elements from churches so as to celebrate 'black masses' with them. Halloween is the highest 'holiday' of them all in these circles, and they most definitely are engaging in demonically inspired activities - worship of Satan.

But to get to your point: what about seances? Even one seance is too much and any price is worth paying to obey the Lord in this matter - even your own death, and all the more so even destruction of family relationships. But God willing it will not come to that, and you will find some way to bring comfort to those who mourn without engaging in activities that are in fact forbidden, idolatrous abominations in the Lord's sight.

MissFifi said...

I love Halloween. I have never viewed it as evil. The Celtics who practiced it were an ancient people and have an interesting history themselves. I do not like when there is an assumption that others who participate are Pagans or Satanists. It is secular and some just see it as a fun day to play dress up. Not everything should be dissected, but again, if you feel it goes against your beliefs, you should not play along.
Your cousins should not be looking for answers in a seance. They should believe their loved one who passed on will always be in their hearts. I know that the loss is hard, but they have to not succumb to swindlers and snake oil salesmen preying on their loss.

This is very evangelical and not my way of thinking, but perhaps this will help you make some decisions in re: to Halloween. Good Luck!

Ultimately, Christian participation in Halloween is a matter of conscience before God. Whatever level of Halloween participation you choose, you must honor God by keeping yourself separate from the world and by showing mercy to those who are perishing. Halloween provides the Christian with the opportunity to accomplish both of those things in the gospel of Jesus Christ. It's a message that is holy, set apart from the world; it's a message that is the very mercy of a forgiving God. What better time of the year is there to share such a message than Halloween?
http://www.gty.org/Resources/Articles/A123

Charisms on Campus said...

thank you ladies, I myself have practiced Halloween every year of my life, even when I had serious doubts. Last year when I was studying the Catholic faith, I loved the meaning behind this "pagan" holiday from the Catholic perspective...as it has meaning in relation to All Saints Day and All Souls Day. I don't have a problem overall, if I had to speak from my heart.

I guess I asked because my new Protestant friends are having a retreat Halloween and I was going to go home that weekend and they made the comment "oh so you're into doing Halloween then..." and then it made me stop & look at Halloween in relation to all the other "spiritual/occultic" relations it has been given in popular culture.

Thank you all for your advice/opinions!

kkollwitz said...

You may want to read Hostage to the Devil. People always think they can mess with stuff they don't understand without any repercussions.

LK said...

Gosh your cousins aren't going to find anything in a seance. I'm not saying spirits don't exist but 9 times out of 10 that psychic will be a fake anyway. I use to read tarot cards myself, was quite good at it. Its all about reading people's reactions and judging what they want to hear. It doesn't have anything to do with the "spirit world".

Ouja boards scare me to death! Won't touch it, no no. They are way too creepy.