Monday, July 27, 2009

Long Over-Due Post

Ooooh boy it's been a while since I lasted posted here. I have 2 blogs and the other one I'm thinking I'll delete because it's confusing and it makes it harder for me to remain motivated in my blogging. So sorry about the long break.

I've received a few questions about what my faith is exactly, from people on different websites. This is hard for me to answer because for so long I've just been a flat out Christian. I was raised, and still am, a confirmed Catholic, however after 9th grade (2005) I became fascinated with Judaism and ended up becoming a practicing Messianic, which is a Christian who follows the Old Laws of the Bible. While most of those laws are easy to keep, it's really impossible to fully follow. That was the whole purpose of the messiah; God showed us what sin brought upon us and he gave his Son to free us from the curse we could never uphold.

During my hiatus I decided it was high time I stopped judging religions from the outside. My Catholic parish never catechized me, I knew nothing of the faith and yet I bashed it. So I bought a catechism. Through reading the official teachings of the Church I have come to understand the outright lies I was believing from online idiots...for lack of a better word. I was one of those idiots. The saints, the rosary, the celibate lifestyles of the clergy, confession...I twisted their purpose and validity. Most of the traditions are taken straight from the Bible itself and what many Christians fail to realize is this is how the original believers practiced. The church is 2,000 years old, like it or not. Baptists, Anglicans, Presbyterians, Anabaptists, etc aren't practicing the way the first christians did.

Now here is where I started to run into some trials. If, after my research is done, (which could be after college, or during, who knows!) and I choose to be a Catholic for good, I have many challenges I'll need to address. I believe in following a religion to a "T". Not like my family does...they are self proclaimed "cafeteria line catholics"; they pick and choose what they want to believe according to how it fits their lives and comfort levels. I on the other hand am a take it all or leave it all kind of person. If I take it all...then I have to dress according to catholic guidelines. Which means I cannot wear pants. period. and my skirts have to reach a certain level and my shirt sleeves must be elbow length AT LEAST. Not to mention I plan to cover my head.

Holy Smokes!

I have been battling over what modesty truly is and I'm having a hard time coming to terms with what I may have to do and change. I remember one girl, a muslim, said she didn't care if people thought she dressed weird because she didn't fear them...she feared God! That made me so utterly ashamed in myself. If I dress for God and fear him alone, then I should not have a problem dressing the way he wills it. Not matter if it's 90 degrees out or two below zero.

Please pray for me! Help me find the direction God wants me to follow
Praise & Glory be unto Him, the most High
~Rose

4 comments:

~Joseph the Worker said...

Nice to meet you and have you visit my blog. I really enjoyed reading about you in this post. I'll be praying for you and you are certainly approaching things correctly. One thing I think you should be wary of, however, is that it is fine if you choose to cover your head personally - but don't go too far like some of the schismatics (SSPX and the like) that are trying to bind things on everyone that the Church has loosened as a discipline. I'm looking forward to reading more of your posts soon.

Charisms on Campus said...

Thanks for the comment and concern :) That's one thing I actually have trouble with in the church though. Don't get me wrong, I'm not into sola scriptura or anything, but how can the church just do away with practices IN the bible? Christian women are called to modesty and to cover their heads while in prayer. It's obedience to God and headship.

~Joseph the Worker said...

That's a good question, and something that takes a little time to understand. Search out a trusted resource that you like (EWTN or Catholic Answers or whatever you like) and read a couple articles about the distinction between "Faith and Morals" and "Discipline".
With the head covering issue in specific, I again would encourage you to wear one if you want to and if it help you (as a sacramental). Remember that the Church taught this discipline in much different cultural times when the issue of "modesty" and "appropriateness in prayer" was much different.

See if any of that helps.

Narobi said...

Praying for your Rose! You remind me of myself in many ways :)