Friday, March 12, 2010

Saint Gertrude the Great (again!)

I cannot help myself, I have found such encouraging pearls of wisdom while studying this woman's life and role in the Church. Apparently she was never truly canonized, but in 1677, Pope Clement XII instituted her feast day. Neat eh? Anyway...


On a website, I found a quote I want to share, in which St. Gertrude had a vision and spoke to God. She asked Him that people have less distractions, so they can focus more on prayer, and He answered her "It does not matter to me whether you perform spiritual exercises or manual labor, provided only that your will is directed to me with a right intention. If I took pleasure only in your spiritual exercises, I should certainly have reformed human nature after Adam's fall so that it would not need food, clothing or the other things that man must find or make with such effort."

How moving is that? I keep rereading it in awe, as once again, it applies to my life directly. Today as I was coming home, I thought about how much I have failed to do my rosaries and meditations, especially when school gets busy, and I just got down on myself. It's like God is sending me these little bits of encouragement so I don't lose sight of what is really important.

This website is truly a blessing, despite the fact it is merely a page long. Please, please, please if you have the time, read it!! There is such hope in the paragraph about Purgatory (and the prayer given to her from God) and in the conclusion of the Sacred Heart. I have never imagined the Lord's pierced Heart in such a manner...being so close and hearing Its pulses...amazing! I cannot stress it enough!

I am so lucky to have come across this incredible woman!
St. Gertrude the Great, pray for us.
Peace to all~
RA

2 comments:

Carmela James said...

If you find St. Gertrude inspirational, I think you'd also really like St. Therese of Lisieux. (AKA St. Therese the Little Flower) She used to say that she wanted to go through life scattering flowers before God's throne, each flower being any small action done out of love. I highly recommend her autobiography, Story of a Soul.

NoReply said...

It is lovely to read that you have found someone who inspires you... :0D