Sunday, August 23, 2009

Say What!?

I have about 20 minutes to kill before the dining hall opens so I'll fill you in on the big bummer of my morning haha

As you may have read below, I wanted to participate with the Chabad during the school year, and the Rabbi had encouraged my friends and I to fill out a mailing paper and come to the services. I even went to the website, excited as ever, and read how they want everyone: Orthodox, Conservative, Reform, and Non-Jews to come to their meetings! So you must understand how much hope this gave me...especially when the rabbi found me on facebook!

I left him a comment about participating, despite the fact I'm a non-jew on his wall and he responded enthusiastically. So I went to bed with a smile on my face knowing I have a place to keep Torah and another place to worship Yeshua here on campus. And then after my morning run and shower, I logged on to facebook and I have a message from the rabbi in my inbox. Could it be an invitation? My excitement quickly turned to despair with a twinge of embarassment as I read his letter. He said if I really wanted to come I could, but there will be many things I shouldn't go to. And at the very least I should bring a Jewish friend with me. I felt like an idiot!

I don't know why he encouraged me multiple times before and just now is telling me I'm not exactly wanted; kind of like the kid you didn't want to invite to the party, but they found out about it, and now you don't want to be rude, so you let them come anyway. haha that's me! :P

I'm debating whether or not I should respond to his message. I don't want to look like I desperately want to go, especially if they find out I'm a Torah-keeping Christian. The Jews I have met say that's not a real religion and I'm making one up/hijacking theirs...so I don't want to impose on the Chabad since they already seem a little put off by my interest.

It's so weird not to fit in anywhere. I'll definately participate in a Christian group; I saw some boys with bibles going to church this morning so they must be in it already. I just found it annoying when the man the other night was speaking of "the Law"...The 10 Commandments. The Law is not just the 10 commandments people! But alas...what's a girl to do? lol

Wow it's 11:00 exactly! Perfect timing. I am STARVING since I didn't eat dinner last night. I took such a long walk with my friend that everyone ate without me haha oh well! Fasting never killed anyone :) well maybe a prolonged one...hmm...nevermind that's not a happy note to leave off on haha

Have a great day everyone! thanks for supporting my blog/cause!
May YHVH bless you and yours always~

5 comments:

Stacy K. said...

It seems like every time I go to a regular church for something the sermon is somehow related to how "The Law" is no longer applicable. Just shows me how I don't really fit there anymore.
It is frustrating to feel like you don't fit in anywhere though :(

You're definitely not hijacking anyone else's faith. The disciples followed the Torah and worshipped at the Temple when it was still standing. The Chabad leaders know these historical facts just as well as you do.

caraboska said...

Stacy, The New Testament teaches that at least Gentile Christians are only obliged to keep four parts of the Mosaic Law: 1) abstain from sexual immorality, 2) abstain from meat sacrificed to idols, 3) abstain from blood, 4) abstain from meat that has been strangled (Acts 15). Now, it can be argued that Jewish believers are obligated to keep the Law - not to save themselves, of course, but out of love for God. However, this is not something likely to be talked about in a church full of Gentiles. But probably no one can argue that a Gentile must not keep the Law, if they are doing it for the right reasons.

caraboska said...

R.A., I wanted to let you know I started covering my head today :)

~Joseph the Worker said...

I hope you find a good group to worship and praise God with. Also, I must say that I cringe around the Campus Crusade people too....too many anti-Catholic experiences I've had with them on this campus.. (I work at a University). I hope you have a more positive experience interacting with them than I did.

Charisms on Campus said...

stacy- I hope you're right, however they aren't very welcoming so I dont know if I will be engaging in any discussions with them about it lol Hopefully YHVH will guide them.

caraboska, many will disagree with that because that list was an introduction for new converts overwhelmed by the law. If you noticed, some big ones are missing from it, Like not to have other Gods before YHVH, not to murder, to honor your father/mother. And the feasts! I think the law in supposed to be a process in Gentile's life.

congrats on the covering! Yay! May YHVH bless you :D

And Joseph- yeah I agree. The people are nice, but they are getting a wee bit on my nerves. I may not be going there either now